OUR HISTORY

HISTORY OF ASHWELL

ASHWELL, a village and a parish in Royston district, Herts. The village stands at the source of the river Rhee, an affluent of the Cam, 2 miles N of a station of its own name on the Hitchen and Cambridge railway, and 4½ NNE of Baldock. It is thought to have been of Roman origin; it bore anciently the name of Escewell; and it was a seat of the Saxon kings, a borough, and a market-town. …

It now consists of several scattered streets; and has a post office‡ under Baldock. The parish comprises 3,852 acres. Real property, £7,509. Pop., 1,507. Houses, 293. The manor was given, before the time of Edward the Confessor, to Westminster Abbey; and passed, at the dissolution, to the see of London. The Roman road, Icknield-street, passes ½ a mile South of the village; and the Roman camp of Arbury occurs there, covers an area of 12 acres, and has yielded Roman coins, and other Roman relics. A small dell adjacent to the village leads up to a steep rocky bank, from the foot of which a number of springs gush out to form the river Rhee. Building-stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £513.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is ancient and good: consists of nave, aisle, and chancel; has a tower at the West end, surmounted by a spire 175 feet high; and contains several old slabs, formerly inlaid with brasses.

People have lived in Ashwell since the Stone Age leaving behind them artefacts and evidence in the landscape. Ashwell Village Museum has objects from all periods from the Stone Age to the present day.
It is in the Bronze Age that first found evidence in the landscape. Aerial photographs show many Bronze Age burial barrows besides the one called Highley Hill, the only one which has not been ploughed out. Arbury Banks, a hill fort covering over 12 acres, was probably started in the Bronze Age before becoming the major site of the Iron Age in Ashwell. Once the Romans had settled in Britain in the first century AD fortifications like Arbury Banks were not needed and the site was abandoned. It appears that what is now the parish of Ashwell became a farming community based on the Roman town where Baldock is today. One such farm seems to be based on the building in what is now Pricems Field.

ABOUT THREE TUNS

The Three Tuns is an AA Rosette awarded, Good Pub Guide listed, red-brick inn with guest rooms in the affluent north Hertfordshire village of Ashwell. The AA website describes the pub as “refreshing informality, with bare tables on bare floors against blue and white walls, plus a garden terrace.

Modern British pub food interspersed with old favourites is the order of the day”. The Three Tuns is a premium site in great condition.

Located in the heart of Ashwell the Three Tuns is famous for its hospitable atmosphere, great food, fine ale and wine selection. The Three Tuns also offers 4 star rated letting rooms, a large garden, terrace and great car parking. This site is just right for visitors and customers visiting Ashwell.

THE THREE TUNES, ASHWELL HIGH STREET

Prior to 1806 two ale houses existed side by side, the Bay Tree having been there in 1715, and the Three Tuns being built in 1803.Samuel Bowman who was landlord of the Bay Tree in 1799, was also licensed to the Three Tuns, .It is believed that the Bay Tree burned down in 1806. Prior to the 1870’s the Three Tuns had the only large room in Ashwell. Known as the Assembly rooms, wedding parties, coroners inquests and auction sales would be held there.The “Tuns” was originally owned by Simpsons of Baldock and now by Greene King.

THE THREE TUNS 6 High Street, Ashwell, SG7 5NL, UK  01462 654664